One man's view of theology, sports, politics, and whatever else in life that happens to interest me. A little bit about me.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

TOMS: Ezekiel 45-48

For an introduction to this series, click here.

Oct. 15, 2006

Here we find a preview of the glory of Jerusalem in the eternal kingdom. The first two chapters deal with the prince who will judge Israel. I started to say it was David, but then it mentions the fact that the prince will have sons, so it cannot be someone with a resurrected body, since they do not reproduce. The prince will be a spiritual leader as well as a political leader.

Chapter 47 is about the river that will flow from under the Temple southward to apparently the Red Sea, through what is now a vast desert. In Ezekiel's vision, the angel who is showing him all these visions shows him the river. At first, it is just a trickle, then it is ankle deep, then knee deep, waist deep, and then too deep to stand in. The water will turn the desert into a lush forest and will even change the salt water of the ocean to fresh. This may be symbolic, but either way, it is a sign that God's presence and God's people will be a blessing to the whole world during this time. I know I am looking forward to being a part of it!

The last chapter of Ezekiel is a boring listing of the borders of the tribes of Israel in the future kingdom. I understand the significance of this passage - that God is right now miraculously overseeing a remnant of the so-called lost tribes of Israel, and that one day they will be a new people again - but it's really a tough read.

As we wrap up the book of Ezekiel, I just want to say here that the last few posts in this series demonstrate why I am really not concerned about prophecy. I can't make any sense of it, and what's worse, I can't seem to find anyone who has a real grasp of it either. Everybody has their theories, from the uber-fantastical stuff to the underwhelming "This has already happened" explanations. None of them are consistent with all the texts, as far as I can tell. So basically in the years since I first wrote this, my solution is to ignore prophecy. You can be a dispensational, covenant, partial preterist, amillenial, whatever: I don't care. As long as you affirm the cardinal doctrines of the church and are committed to living them out in your daily life, I consider you a good brother or sister in the Lord. As long as you won't bring up stuff no one understands completely anyway and try to fight over it, we can fellowship in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment