One man's view of theology, sports, politics, and whatever else in life that happens to interest me. A little bit about me.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

TOMS: Ezekiel 22-23

For an introduction to this series, click here.

Oct. 5, 2006

Ezekiel had more bad news for the Jews in this passage. In chapter 22, he lists some of the wicked deeds that were done in Israel: murder, idolatry, adultery, and more. Chapter 23 is a lurid retelling of the sin of Samaria (the northern kingdom) and Jerusalem (the southern kingdom). Once again we find a very explicit comparison of the sins of Israel in associating with heathen nations and worshiping their false gods with prostitution. The frankness is quite shocking. This isn't a passage you want to cover in a class with anyone but adults, unless you want to explain the references to Egyptian men's genitalia to snickering teenagers.


But there is one verse in this passage that brought back memories. Every time there was a split boys' and girls' sessions in any youth camp or meeting, someone always taught on 22:30:
And I sought for a man among them who should build up the wall and stand in the breach before me for the land, that I should not destroy it, but I found none.(ESV)


What a sad commentary on the state of Israel. Much like Sodom, which would have been saved if only 10 people believed, God was looking for anyone who stood against the corruption that was going on. I don't know exactly what kind of man God was looking for, but He was certainly looking for someone stronger than me. Most of the time, I end up paying lip service to my faith, and that really bothers me. What bothers me most is that when I don't stand for what I believe, it's just that- I am lying. Too many times I am just like Peter at the fire, lying about my best friend, the one for whom I have dedicated so much of my life.

I don't know, I just feel like spilling my guts tonight. Pray for me. I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment